Smelly garbage disposal is a very common problem. The reason behind this odor is most likely the frequent use of the kitchen sink and dishwashing activities. This can lead to serious issues, and you might get sick with the unpleasant smell.
You mostly use the garbage disposal for getting rid of the stinky food that is left in the dishes. But you do not need to worry as it is not permanent, you can get rid of the foul smell by doing some preventive measures.
In this article, you will get to know that how can you get rid of this odor coming from the garbage disposal of your home.
If you will follow the guidelines and apply the remedies mentioned in the blog then you can easily clean and get rid of the smelly garbage disposal.
So let’s get started.
Why Does My Garbage Disposal Stink?
A garbage disposal can stink due to numerous reasons. Here are described some of the causes for stinking garbage disposal.
- Rotten food: this can be possible that you wipe away the meal food particles may be left in the sink pipes that can produce a foul odour.
- Growth of mold and bacteria in pipes: you might see the top part of the sink but if you notice a smell in your kitchen sink then the mold and bacteria may have grown in the pipes, which are difficult to monitor because the moist places are their best locations for their growth.
- Gutter gases: if the sinks are not properly installed then gases can rise from the gutters and can come into your sinks, which create odour smells.
What to Do For Smelly Garbage Disposal?
A smelly garbage disposal can be a headache for you. You have to take some action to get rid of this smell. There are many activities that you can do to get this foul smell out of your kitchen.
Homemade remedies are found effective to clean garbage disposal. Ice, baking soda, vinegar, and many other kitchen products can be used in the process. You can also buy chemical products from the market cleaning of garbage disposal.
You can clean it by yourself or hire a professional for this purpose. However, you have to take precautionary measures to get rid of this stinky sink problem.
How to Clean A Smelly Garbage Disposal?
Cleaning smelly garbage disposal needs some time and effort. You can clean it as follows.
- First of all, collect all the tools and things you need to clean it such as dishwasher soap, baking soda, vinegar, salt, ice, and sponge.
- Fill the sink with warm soapy water and clean the outside part of the sink.
- Put ice and salt in the disposal when it is off and then run it to let the ingredients do their task.
- Now add baking soda and leave it for an hour and then put in some vinegar.
- Now turn on the tap to let the cold water go into the disposal and wipe out the entire particle to ensure complete cleaning.
How to Clean Garbage Disposal With Ice and Baking Soda?
You can clean the garbage disposal with ice and baking soda that are commonly available in almost every house. You can do it as follows.
- Take some ice or ice cubes from your refrigerator and put them at your disposal.
- Add half a cup of baking soda to the disposal. You can also add some salt or vinegar to it for getting quick results.
- Turn on the disposal and keep running it for 2 minutes.
- Stop the disposal and add some hot water and then again run the disposal.
- Now run the tap for cold water and let the particles drain from the disposal.
Home Remedies for a Smelly Garbage Disposal
There are numerous home remedies that you can apply to get rid of smelly garbage disposal. These are as follows:
- The first thing that you should do against smelly garbage disposal is to wash out the entire disposal from outside. A toothbrush can be used to apply dish soap to the entire sink.
- A toothpick can be used to clean the lean lines of the sink.
- Flushing the disposal will keep you away from the foul odor.
- Ice, salt, baking soda, vinegar, citrus foods like lemon and orange can also be used for smelly garbage disposal.
How to Clean a Broken Garbage Disposal?
If a garbage disposal is not cleaned regularly or you often wipe a huge amount of food particles into it then the garbage disposal may break. It might start leaking or the draining process gets slow.
You have to first repair the garbage disposal and then clean it. You should find out the cause of the breakage and fix it. After this, you should apply the steps mentioned in the article to clean the disposal to eliminate the smell.
Broken Garbage Disposal Smell
The smell of a broken garbage disposal can create a very awkward situation for you. It is necessary to cure it as soon as possible. You should hire a plumber that can help you fix the problem, or you can use home remedies or chemicals for cleaning your garbage disposal.
Garbage Disposal Odor Under Sink
If the garbage disposal is not cleaned properly then you will notice that a weird odor is coming under your sink. The condition can get worse if you will not take steps to cure it. The pipes can be leaked, and the sewer gases can come into your kitchen that creates this smell and make your life stressful.
But you do not need to worry as you can clean it within minutes.
Garbage Disposal Smells When Dishwasher Runs
If you can feel an odor often when you are running your dishwasher then it is a sign that the filter of your dishwasher needs cleaning. This might be a symbol of clogging in your sink pipes.
Mostly the dirty filter is a common reason. However, you can easily remove the filter and clean it from any debris and clogging.
All in all, now you have known how to get rid of the unpleasant smell due to the smelly garbage disposal.