When you buy a new house, it needs maintenance. If you notice shower leaks behind the wall, then it should not be avoided. It is because a shower leak behind the wall can damage the walls of your house and cause heavy bills.
The leaks that are easy to detect are easy to fix, but the leaks behind your eyes can create great danger. It might expose with a considerable loss. So you have to be very careful and fix the problem as early as possible.
If you can do the task by yourself, then you should step into it. Otherwise, you should call professional services for this purpose as they have appropriate tools to fix all the problems.
If you are facing such issues, keep reading this article as it will get some quick tips for fixing shower leaking behind the wall. So let’s get started without wasting any time.
This question asks by most homeowners. The answer to this question is to check your shower for signs that can caus4e leakage behind the wall.
The leakage behind the wall is not easy to see, but it still leaves some emblems that can cause shower leaking behind walls. Following are the most common signs of shower leaking behind walls.
- Stuffy smells
- Mold growth under a shower
- Stains on the walls
- Paint peeling
- Bubbling wallpaper
- Perverted walls
- Warped ceiling
If you have noticed one of the above issues, you should not avoid it, as this is a severe problem and can severely damage your walls.
It is not easy to detect shower leaks behind walls, but you have first to check the signs of the leak and then start the process to fix this leak.
To repair the shower leaking behind the wall, you need to take the following actions.
- When you notice a leak behind the wall in your shower, you need first to determine where your battery is leaking. For this purpose, you will need to open the rain and detect the source of leakage. You can remove the shower plate if all the valve connections are visible in this small space. On the contrary, you might need to remove a portion of the wall to reach the leakage source.
- If there is an access panel of your shower behind the wall, then it will be genuinely beneficial for you as you can reach the cause easily in this manner.
- Now cut a small window of your drywall to get proper access to the shower leak. For this job, you will need a saw to cut the inspection window, a mirror to see the leak with the help of a flashlight.
- Now you need to check that part of the drywall for the signs of a leak mentioned in the above section. There might be discoloration of pipes or a leaky tub drain. In this way, you will surely reach the leak.
- The best way to check the leaky shower behind the wall after cutting a portion of drywall is to turn on the battery. Now all the reality is exposed for you. There might be pipe leaking or valve leaking.
- Whatever the reason for the leak you find, all you need is to fix the problem to avoid further damage. It can be a leakage in the spout, shower arm, or shower valve. In the following section, you will know how you can fix each of the leakages in detail.
By adopting the procedure mentioned in the previous section, you will know the reason, and then you need to fix it rapidly to save your home from any damages.
The gap between the wall and support can be a reason for leakage behind the wall. You can fix it by following the below tips.
- The first solution to fill the gap is to caulk it. You can use silicone caulk for this purpose to fill the space. But be sure to get the color of the caulk that matches the color of the wall. If you do not load it properly, it can again start damaging the space behind the walls.
- The second solution to the spout leak is to use a trim plate to fill the gap. You can purchase these plates from building material stores. And you have to caulk the vessel to fix it in its place so that it can cause a hurdle in the area of water to go in the wrong way.
- If the above two solutions do not prove successful in fixing leakage, you might need to change the shower spout that does not contain any gap between them.
If you have identified a leakage in the shower arm behind the wall, you need to fix it to prevent any issues again. You can quickly restore it by following the steps.
- Remove the circular metal plate around the shower arm. You might need to remove the showerhead first and then remove this plate.
- Now unscrew the shower arm and check the reason for its leak. The shower arm might not be adequately tight, or the threads not seal appropriately.
- Take a wire brush and clean the shower arm.
- Use plumbing tape to wrap the threads and then tight the shower arm back to its place.
- If the arm is cracked or damaged, you might need to replace it with a new one.
Finally, if you identified a leak behind the wall due to valve leakage, you will need more effort to fix it. You can set it as follows.
- If the valve is leaking from the stem, then you need to replace the cartridge.
- If the leak is in the valve body, you should cut the valve body and replace it.