You build a new house or buy an old house; you need to give fish to all the house’s interior. If talking about the old house, you must agree that you surely need to change the house’s finish according to your choice. The same is the case for a new home.
The kitchen is an essential part of your house, so you need to give a finishing touch to your unfinished kitchen cabinets. Painting them is the best solution to get rid of old-fashioned and ugly kitchen cabinets.
Painting unfinished cabinets is not a difficult job. However, one should have the courage to do the task and use the required tools appropriately.
In this article, you will learn complete information for painting unfinished kitchen cabinets. If you want to do the task by yourself, being a homeowner, or if you (reader) are a carpenter, this article will be handy for you because it will give you multiple needed guidelines to get clear and beautiful kitchen cabinets. So let’s get started.
What Type of Paint for Unfinished Cabinets?
You must have an idea that there are numerous types of paints available in the market and you must be confused about the color that which paints will be suitable for finishing kitchen cabinets.
So there is no need to worry as this article is here to help you. As you know, you can use the kitchen cabinets regularly, so you need to choose the durable paint and will not leave its place easily.
You should also select a pigment that gives a smooth finish to your kitchen cabinets. So it is advised to use the semi-gloss finished paint on the kitchen cabinets. It will last for a long time, and you will not need to break your bank again for five to seven years.
If you have no reach to semi-gloss paint, then you can also use satin finish as an alternative. It will keep all the dust away from it because you can remove the dust by wiping a piece of cloth on the surface of the cabinet. And do not use flat finish paint as it can attract dust easily.
How to Paint Unfinished Kitchen Cabinets?
When you have an idea of which paint is suitable for your unfinished kitchen cabinets, you are good to go for the painting method.
If you follow the mentioned guidelines and steps, you will end up with a clear finish and beauty in your kitchen.
Again, if you have enough time to do the job, start doing it yourself; in another case, call a professional to do the task.
- First, you have to gather all the necessary material for starting painting your unfinished kitchen cabinets. Here you will need a paintbrush, toolbox, primer, roller, cloth or sponge, paint, polyurethane, and sandpaper.
- Remove the door handles and another fitting from the cabinets so that the paint does not damage them.
- Use sandpaper on all the cabinets to make them smooth. It is essential to give a plain surface to paint to sit correctly.
- If there are holes in and damages in any part of the cabinets, then you need wood putty to repair these holes. Put the putty in the spot and make it plain according to the cabinet using a knife. If you do not fill the gaps, you will fail to finish your kitchen cabinets perfectly.
- Now you have prepared the surface for the paint. Apply the first coat of the primer. You can use a paintbrush for this purpose. Let it sit for one or two hours. Feel the surface of the cabinet with your hand when it gets dry. If you notice any wood grains in it, sand the cover on the suspected part of the cabinets.
- Now apply the second coat of the primer and let it dry.
- When the primer has dried out completely, you are all good to go to apply the paint (that can be latex-based or oil-based). You can use anything from a paintbrush or a paint roller to apply the paint. But be sure you are not leaving any marks of paint on the cabinets. Let it dry for few hours. The latex-based color needs less time to dry as compared to oil-based paint.
- After sanding wood grains on the first coat of the paint, you need to apply the second coat in the same manner.
- For additional protection, you need to apply polyurethane. It will keep the finish safe for a long time.
- In the end, reattach the fittings that you have removed at the first step. And enjoy the beauty of your finished kitchen cabinets.
How to Paint Unfinished Wood Kitchen Cabinets?
To paint the wood kitchen cabinets, you can apply the following method.
- Detach the doors of the cabinets. And paint then as well by the below-mentioned method.
- Sand the cabinets with sandpaper.
- Apply the primer on the cabinets. Make two coats of the primer.
- Apply the paint in the same manner as you have applied the primer. Latex-based color will be helpful on the wood cabinets.
How to Spray Paint Unfinished Kitchen Cabinets?
As told in the above sections, you have to be very careful when applying paint on the cabinets using a paintbrush as it can leave brush marks on the surface.
So it is advised to use the spray painting method on your unfinished kitchen cabinets. It is a quick and reliable way to paint the cabinets.
All you need is to use a spray paint machine for paint than a brush. The rest of the method is identical to painting with a brush.
Tips for Painting Unfinished Cabinets
If you are painting unfinished kitchen cabinets, then the below tips will be very helpful for you.
- The wood surface is an easy target to paint.
- The preparation of the surface is necessary to give a smooth finish.
- Primer is essential to sit the paint perfectly.
- The paint should be of high quality. The good the paint, the higher the reliability.
All in all, now you can perform the task of painting unfinished cabinets quite well by following the above-mentioned tips and methods.