Replacing the full structure of the kitchen cabinets can be very costly. But if you refinish the cabinets then you can easily give a new look to your kitchen. Repainting is more affordable than replacing.
Painting laminate cabinets can be difficult as it requires many efforts to explore all the details because most of the paints do not stick on the laminate.
So, you have to be very careful in this case. Otherwise, you will suffer from loss. Laminate must be in good condition when you start painting it. Painting can be done with or without sanding.
Painting Laminate Kitchen Cabinets Ideas
In this article, different ideas for painting laminate cabinets will be discussed. So, if you want your kitchen more attractive then keep reading this blog.
What Kind of Paint to Use on Laminate Cabinets?
Laminate is a thin layer of plastic that is coated over any kind of furniture. So, to be sure that painting will work efficiently, you should first select the appropriate paint for painting your laminate cabinets.
There is a need for paint that will stick on the surface of laminate cabinets. The best paint that has the nature to stick on anything easily is chalk paint and satin Enamels Paint. It makes an accurate primer that gives your cabinets a prettier look than before (when they look ugly).
So, when you have decided to paint your laminate cabinets then you should buy chalk paint and satin Enamels Paint.
How to Paint Laminate Cabinets?
You have to gather all the materials before starting to paint laminate cabinets. Like paint roller, brushes, painter’s tape, and tray, etc. Then you can do the task as follows:
- First of all, remove all the hardware to save it from any damage. You can also apply the tape on the doors to save it from any marks.
- Select a good primer to give a pretty finish to your kitchen cabinets.
- Clean the cabinets before applying the primer. Apply one coat of primer after completely cleaning it. And when the first coat gets dry, apply the second coat.
- After applying two coats of primer, it is time to apply the main course, i.e., paint the cabinets.
- After painting it, apply the top coat that is very necessary as it gives a neat look and eliminates all the brush strokes.
Painting Wood Laminate Cabinets White
Painting wood laminate cabinets white will give wood a unique and classy look. Do not yellow your laminate wood cabinets instead of white. You have to be careful when doing it, like usage of correct paint, brush roller, avoid brush strokes, and do not panic.
If you want to paint your wood laminate cabinets white, then you have to make sure that you are using the correct tools. In this way, you will get better consequences.
Painting Laminate Cabinets with Chalk Paint
Chalk paint is a type of paint that sticks on the object quickly and perfectly. Once you have gathered all the material, you can start the painting process as follows.
- First of all, you have to make sure that all the laminate is in a condition that is neither cracked nor peeled. If it is damaged then first repair it and then paint it.
- Clean the cabinets from any kind of debris or grease. Use a cutter to remove it.
- Apply the chalk paint on the doors of the cabinets with a roller. And if the roller is unable to reach any corner, then apply the paint with a brush on that area. After painting the doors, label them and remove them from frames.
- Now apply the chalky paint on the frames with a roller or brush. Same as done with the doors. Also, apply the paint on the back and edges of the cabinet doors.
- Now coat satin Enamels Paint on the frames and the doors in the same way as done with the chalk paint. You can repeat a coat if you think that it is not neat. And wait for the paint to try and re-attach the doors of the cabinets. You are good to go as you have a new and attractive look in your kitchen.
Painting Laminate Cabinets with Rustoleum
The Rustoleum makes it very easy to paint cabinets. The replacing can be very costly, but painting laminate cabinets is a very inexpensive idea when you are low on budget.
For updating the laminate cabinets, it is a very good solution to use a Rustoleum kit. It will transform the cabinets and you will be very happy to see it. Do it as follow:
- First of all, label the hardware and detach it to avoid any stains on it.
- Prepare the cabinets by cleaning them with a tack cloth.
- Apply the first coat of the Rustoleum paint and wait until it soaks. Then apply the second coat.
- Do not apply on both sides of the hardware at once. Wait after applying it on one side and then do it on the other side.
- After this attach the doors again and enjoy a new look.
Peeling Laminate Cabinets
Peeling laminate cabinets is necessary because not all the paint sticks easily on laminate. Peeling will rough the finish and the adhesive can easily fix on it.
You can use a scrubber to peel the laminate cabinets. It will remove the old adhesive and hence the new adhesive can easily make its place. The paint will not look rough when it is done after peeling it.
So, you can say if you have decided to paint your laminate cabinets then you have to make sure that you have used sandpaper or a scrubber to remove the old finish.
How to Refinish Laminate Cabinets?
Refinishing means giving a new look to your laminate cabinets by removing the old ones. Refinishing will cost you less than replacing the entire kitchen cabinets.
So, if you are fed up with the boring look of your kitchen cabinets or have purchased a new house that has rough laminate cabinets then you should refinish it as it will not put a burden on your pocket.
Just follow the steps mentioned for painting laminate cabinets in the article and you will easily refinish the cabinets. Good Luck!