Mold in the washing machine can be very stressful because when the clothes wash in a washing machine where mold has grown, the clothes will come out with a foul smell. Mold can grow in any washing machine, whether it is a front loader or a top loader, and even mold can grow in a new washing machine.
Black mold can cause a musty smell from the clothes if it has grown in the washing machine. It is necessary to remove the mold to prevent all the issues like sneezing and other respiratory problems.
In this article, you will read different mold cleaning hacks from other parts of the washing machine.
If you have found black mold in your washing machine and are worried about it, you have come to the right place to get all the details to get rid of mold in the washing machine and read how to prevent it from further growth. Let’s get started.
Is Mold in Washing Machine Dangerous?
Most people ask this question, and the answer to this question is yes, the mold in the washing machine is dangerous because it can make you sick. It can cause respiratory problems, and the sufferer may start continuous sneezing and coughing.
Even excessive mold in the washing machine can cause fatal diseases that lead to death. When you wear clothes washed in a washing machine with mold in it, you might get rashes or other allergies. You should remove mold as soon as possible to avoid such issues.
How to Get Rid of Black Mold in Washing Machine?
As I told you, it is necessary to get rid of black mold to stay safe and healthy. It is an alarming thing when the clothes coming out of the washing machine are smelly. It is effortless to clean the mold by following few steps.
It would be best to have few common ingredients and some efforts to get rid of mold in the washing machine. Below you will get to know how to clean each part of the washing machine for mold.
- First of all, clean the door seal because here, the growth of the mold is possible. For the front loading washing machine, you need to scrub the gasket of the door seal more carefully to remove black mold. You can use non-toxic bathroom cleaner for this purpose.
- Now it’s time to clean the detergent dispenser. Take the soap dispenser and fabric softener from the washing machine and wash in the sink. Make sure to remove all the soap because, with time, it can cause mold growth. For rigid mold, you can use a brush or cloth to clean it.
- Now run an empty cleaning cycle to remove mold. You can add hot water in this cycle to remove mold in a washing machine altogether.
- For front loader machines, you can use vinegar to wash them for mold. You can also mix it with lemon juice and bleach and can run a cycle.
- For top-loading machines, you can use enzyme detergent to remove mold.
How to Get Clean Mold in Washing Machine Soap Dispenser?
For cleaning mold in the washing machine dispenser, you need to follow the below steps.
- Remove the soap dispenser from the washing machine and wash it in the sink. But to remove mold, you need to make a solution of baking soda, vinegar, and bleach.
- Add the answer to the soap dispenser and run an empty cycle.
- You can add hot water for this open cycle.
- In this way, you will get the mold out of your washing machine soap dispenser.
How to Get Rid of Mold in Top Loading Washing Machine?
To clean the top-loading washing machine for the mold, you need to get some free time and follow these simple steps.
- First of all, turn on the washing machine.
- Add hot water to it. Make sure it is on the largest load setting and fill it.
- Run a cycle and when it starts agitating, stop it and add 3 cups of vinegar to it.
- Now add 1 cup of baking soda to it and rerun it. After the cycle ends, you will surely get rid of mold.
How to Remove Mold from Rubber Seal on Washing Machine?
As I told you earlier, cleaning each part of the washing machine for mold is necessary. The same is the case for the rubber seal of a washing machine. You can get the mold out of the rubber seal of the washing machine as follows.
- Make a solution of bleach, baking soda, and vinegar.
- Add one baking soda cup around the seal of the washing machine.
- Run a hollow cycle with baking soda without water.
- Now take a cloth to wipe clean the rubber seal with the solution you have made the first step.
- Clean the entire rubber seal thoroughly.
How to Clean Mold from Front Load Washer Gasket?
When you notice a foul smell coming out of your front load washer gasket, then you should check for the mold growth in it. You can easily pull back the gasket and clean it. You might see the soap and the detergent collected on it.
Take a spray bottle; add ¾ part water and ¼ part vinegar in it. Spray it on the gasket and wipe it with a sponge or cloth to clean it for mold.
How Do You Get Mold Off Washing Machine Rubber?
By the below steps, you can get the mold off the washing machine.
- Run a cycle with hot water and bleach.
- Make a mixture of water and vinegar in a spray bottle.
- Spray the solution on the rubber seal.
- Take a soft cloth and clean the rubber with it.
- You can let the solution sit for some time on rigid mold or use the brush to remove it.
How to Prevent Black Mold in Washing Machine?
If there is no mold in your washing machine, you also need to take some measures to prevent decay. And even if you have got rid of mold in the washing machine by adopting the mentioned methods, you must also avoid it further.
Follow the below guidelines.
- Always use suitable detergent when using a washing machine.
- Let the door open when you have finished washing.
- Get the wet clothes out from the washing machine instantly to prevent moisture that is the favorite mold to grow.
- It would help if you used a dehumidifier to prevent the washing machine from moisture.
- Always wipe the door gasket with the cloth to make it dry.
If you face mold in washing machine, then adopt one of the above-discussed methods to get rid of it.