Basements are most useful for homeowners to escape from excessive weather. They are also prone to gather moisture in it at the same time.
If the basement in your house is often found wet then proper steps should be taken to remove moisture from that area.
Cracks in the house foundation, poor drainage, and poorly settled basement doors can lead to water leaks through the basement.
In this article, you will learn how to waterproof a basement walls and floors.
What is Waterproofing Basement?
Waterproofing is a method in which some techniques and materials are used to keep an area safe from water.
The basement is most prone to wet that is why any leaks or cracks in the house walls can moisture in the basement.
A waterproofing basement has a sealant material that prevents water damages.
Types of Basement Waterproofing
One can prevent himself from big loss by keeping his house’s basement waterproof.
The three most common types of basement waterproofing are as follows.
In interior basement waterproofing, apply material from inside the basement.
While the exterior method involves blocking all ways that water can make to reach inside the basement. It is done from outside the basement.
In the drainage method, the poor draining systems are repaired or if the system is severely damaged then a proper drainage system is built around the basement to keep the water away from it.
Is Basement Waterproofing Worth it?
There are a lot of things that make basement waterproofing worth it.
House foundation is most important in every house so waterproofing the basement will keep the foundation safe and keep the family safe.
This improves the air quality of the house and prevents several respiratory problems.
It is very expensive to repair the house due to a water leak so waterproofing will keep you safe from these costly repairs.
Moreover, when you intend to sell the house with basement waterproofing then it will be worth more than a house without it.
How to Waterproof Basement Floors?
To keep the house foundation safe from damages, waterproofing the basement floor can be done as follows.
- Fill all the cracks with hydraulic acid.
- Epoxy paint is the most reasonable solution to the waterproof basement floor. So coat the basement floor with this paint.
- The paint will dry quickly and lasts for a long time.
- It will keep the water away from the floor.
- If basement is being used for a workshop then it should be sealed with epoxy paint.
How to Waterproof Basement Concrete Floor?
It is very important to notice the cracks in the concrete floor that might be due to some water leaks underground. If it is not recovered, then it will end up with a huge loss.
This is the reason that the concrete floor looks older than other parts of the house.
Follow the below steps to waterproof the basement concrete floor.
- The most common reason behind the damage to the concrete floor of the basement is that it is left untreated. You have to look after it properly to keep it last for a long time.
- Coo-Var Damp Shield should be coated on concrete flooring to prevent the floor from water.
- Keep checking the signs of condensation.
- You can also use a slurry solution to keep the floor protected.
How to Waterproof a Basement Wall From the Inside?
To waterproof basement walls from inside, the steps given below should be followed.
- Do land grading if water is found in the basement.
- Fill all the cracks and gaps with hydraulic acid because it will help to keep water away from the walls.
- Buy a masonry waterproofing material and seal inside walls of the basement with it.
- Maintain the gutters and downspouts of the house to make sure water going away from the foundation.
- Install interior drainage system.
How to Waterproof a Basement from the Outside?
You should take prior steps to prevent water from coming to the basement walls. It is suggested to do exterior waterproofing. It can be done as follows.
- Install a moisture barrier outside the basement walls.
- A simple board is also required on the exterior wall of the basement for the proper drainage system.
- Moisture membrane for protecting walls
- Sump pump for gravity discharge
- Footer drain to safely take the water out of the home.
How Long Does Basement Waterproofing Last?
The period that the basement waterproofing will retain its worth depends on the climate and the products used in waterproofing.
It might start damaging initially after almost 10 years of its building and that is a reasonable time.
How to Waterproof a Basement Window Well?
Basement windows are a great source of getting light and fresh air in the room but it might be the reason to take water into the basement.
- First of all, make sure that the drainage system is accurate inside the window well. The drains can be interior or exterior.
- Foundation degrading is another important step to do. Check the foundation soil around the basement and add soil when it needs to keep the water away from it.
- The window wells gather a lot of dust so it is suggested to replace the gravel because the dust can lead to poor draining. If excessive water in the window is noticed, then it is also advised to replace the gravel.
- Another solution is to keep the water away from window wells to cover them.
- Caulk the windows and regularly check the window well to prevent any issues.
The basements are found in abundance and are liked by people for placing things in them and also for spending some alone time.
With the passage of time, the basements gather a good amount of moisture that leads to issues.
One should waterproof the basement walls and floors to get rid of moisture issues because it can further lead to mold growth that can be very dangerous for the inhabitants.
Fill all the cracks. You can make use of epoxy paint to waterproof the floors of the basement.
In this guide, we have covered top methods of how to waterproof a basement.