It is a good decision to have laminate flooring at the spots which are excessively used. Laminate flooring will increase its lifespan.
It might seem duplicate to some other flooring types, but there are various choices available in the market.
Laminate flooring has become the first choice for people when they think about hallways, living rooms, and stairs.
Now you might be thinking about the installation process of laminate flooring on stairs. It is quite an easy task and can be done with comfort.
In this article, you will get to know how to install laminate flooring on stairs. If the steps are followed in each installation process, the life of the stairs will surely be enhanced. Let’s dive into it.
How to Install Laminate on Stairs with White Risers?
Laminate flooring will give the old stairs a new look. It can be installed on stairs with white risers as follows.
- First of all, remove any paint or adhesive present on the stairs. Remove the overhangs if there are any.
- Take the laminate out of the boxes so that it can adjust according to the house’s temperature.
- Measure the stairs and cut all the pieces accordingly.
- Install the thread of the stairs first and then other parts. Apply strong glue on the back of the thread at three spots. Make sure it is fixed in its position tightly.
- Now apply white risers and press them vertically on stairs. Hold it to make sure it has been fixed properly. It can also be secured using nails.
- Apply glue on the subfloor to fit the nosing on the stairs. Be sure not to apply glue on the nosing piece. Mark the spaces at a distance of 9 inches and then make a hole using the drill. Insert wood screws in the hold and tight them. Cover the screws with plastic tape. And it’s done now.
How to Install Laminate Flooring on Stair Landing?
To install laminate flooring on the stair landing, follow the below steps.
- Measure the width and length of the stair landing.
- Cut stair nosing accordingly.
- Place the nosing on the lip of the landing.
- Use nails to fix the laminate.
- Be sure to choose the matching color of the finish for a clean look.
How to Install Laminate Flooring on Stairs with Bullnose?
To install laminate flooring with bullnose on the stairs, follow these steps.
- Measure the length of the stairs at the end where the bullnose is to be installed.
- Cut the bullnose transition according to measurement.
- Place the trench of bullnose on one edge of the stair. A rubber mallet can be used to make it tight.
- Now insert a nail on the bullnose to keep it in its place.
How to Install Laminate Flooring on Curved Stairs?
If there are curved stairs in the house, then laminate flooring can be installed on them as follows.
- Make longitudinal cuts for flexible stair risers. Measure the riser and then cut the laminate accordingly.
- Attach the risers with glue and make sure that the curved area is laminated properly.
- Threads are easier and similar to install as done in the last sections.
- The holes at 6 inches need to be drilled to keep the laminate in its place.
How to Install Laminate Flooring on Stairs with Overhang?
The staircase might contain an overhang of some existing flooring.
When you have decided to install laminate flooring, first need to remove this overhang from the stairs and then continue the rest of the procedure.
The overhang can be removed by cutting it with some nail or jigsaw. Then, the steps mentioned in the above sections can be followed according to stair types.
How to Install Laminate Flooring on Stairs with Spindles?
It is tough to make a smooth surface of laminate flooring that can last for a long time.
If you have a spindle staircase, you might be wondering about the method of installing laminate flooring on it.
Risers can be installed along with threads in the same manner as done for another staircase. But when spindles are associated with risers, extra time and effort will be required to make proper laminate flooring.
It will be good if the spindles can be removed and then laminate flooring is installed. After that, spindles can be re-installed easily. However, it might be difficult in some cases.
So, follow the below steps to install laminate flooring on stairs with spindles.
- Measures the length and width of the thread and cut laminate accordingly. Be sure to pass the spindle at the outer edge of the thread.
- Take a dashboard piece and cut it according to the thread measurement. Measure from the riser to the spindle. Mark the spot of the spindle on the dashboard.
- Take a utility knife and cut spindle tracings. Draw a line in the center of the spindle and then cut it into two pieces, then enclose the spindle with these two pieces.
- If there is an issue with the measurements, then trim accordingly.
- Now trace these two pieces on the laminate and cut them according to the exact size. And then fix it around spindles with glue.
How to Install Laminate Flooring on Concrete Stairs?
If there are concrete stairs in the house and one wants laminate flooring on them, then below steps should be followed.
- Clean the stairs from any debris and overhang.
- Measure the riser and cut the laminate according to it. Fix the laminate in its place.
- Now start laminate stair nosing. Take the drill and make holes in the concrete where nosing will fix.
- Cut thread and fix them in a manner that it can meet risers.
- In most cases, concrete stairs have a thick lip of nosing. If you have this issue, you can cut laminate according to a thread covering it completely.
How to Install Laminate Flooring around Stair Railings?
A stair railing is most important when it comes to laminate flooring. So you have to be very careful when doing it. It is similar to stairs with spindles.
You can install laminate flooring on it by following the method.
- Measure the width of the top step horizontally and the depth of the riser from the front edge. Cut cardboard pieces according to measurements as a template.
- Now mark the position on the template where the railing lies. Fold it to the middle of the railing point and cut it from the center.
- Try these two pieces around the railing to make sure that the template is accurate.
- If it is accurate, then cut the laminate according to the template.
- Attach these two pieces around the railing and make a round shape. Fix them with glue or nail.
Staircases are found in almost every house to help people go from one floor to another.
With time and excessive usage, the staircases start having cracks in them. To increase their lifetime, proper arrangements should be made.
Installing laminate flooring on stairs make them withstand tears. This is a low-cost solution and involves easy steps.
Now you have known how to install laminate flooring on stairs and can increase the durability of your stairs.