Garage Door Insulation is an easy Do It Yourself (DIY) project that can make life easy. It lessens the bills, prevents you from the street noise, and makes life comfortable.
Furthermore, it works as an obstacle between you and the noise of the street. So, if you have a budget and want to get rid of heavy bills of energy and noise then you should install garage door insulation. In this article, you will read about how to install garage door insulation yourself.
How to Install Garage Door Insulation Yourself?
The benefits of garage door insulation make it worth doing. You can do it by yourself by simply following the below steps:
Inspect all Parts:
To know what type of insulation you need, inspect all parts of the garage and door. Then measure the garage door to get the exact amount of insulation for the door. You can also buy the available insulation kits if it matches with your requirements. Clean the garage door and remove the things from the garage.
Cut the Materials:
If you do not get the required size kit of insulation from the market, then cut it by yourself according to the measured size. But stay safe while cutting it, use some gloves and a face mask.
Now install the insulation by applying glue to the door and then press the insulation on it. You can use foam insulation as well as weather strips to secure it more.
Check the Task List:
In the end, check that you have completed all the required tasks, and nothing is left.
How to Insulate a Wooden Garage Door?
If you want your garage to be cool in summer and hot in winter, then you should insulate your wooden garage door.
Insulation of a wooden garage door will protect the inside space of the garage from excessive temperature. After insulation, you will also get fewer bills if your garage is attached to your home. You can insulate a wooden garage in the following ways:
As you know that wooden garage doors are made up of different sections. So, take a tape and measure every section separately and note it as well. In this way, you will get the exact length of insulation.
Cut the Polymer:
Now cut the polymer insulation according to the measurement you have taken in the previous step. Make sure to cut it for all the sections of your wooden garage door.
If you are using commercial glue so keep in mind it works quickly. So be sure to work fast and section by section. Do not apply this adhesive to all the sections at one time. Put it in one section then attach the polymer insulation to it before it becomes dry. Repeat this process for all sections.
How to Insulate a Metal Garage Door?
Metal garage insulation will prevent you from excessive heat and cold. It also provides a quiet environment by preventing noise from entering the garage. You can insulate a metal garage door by following steps:
Decide the Material:
First, you need to decide that what material you want to use for insulation. Like you need foam insulation or fiberglass insulation. You can use polyurethane foam or a garage insulation kit.
Determine the Number of Sheet:
s: Now determine how many sheets you need by measuring the dimensions of the garage door. Purchase them according to measurements along with the double-sided tape.
Cut the Sheets:
Now cut the polyurethane insulation foam according to the sections of the metal door. And make sure to cut it one inch more so that it can comfortably fit into the section. Now apply 4 pieces of adhesive tape on the panel of the door and then attach the foam to that panel.
If you are using a garage insulation kit, then it already has all the material in it. Cut the foam according to the panel and then divide each panel into two parts. Apply glue on both centers of the panel parts. And then place the form on the panel carefully. Do this for all the sections.
How to Insulate a Finished Garage?
A finished garage means that a garage is not insulated but already has drywall up. The only way to insulate your garage is blown insulation. To insulate a finished garage will cost more than an unfinished garage. You can insulate a finished garage in the following manner.
- A common technique is to cut the drywall and remove a band of it from the top as well as the bottom. This is because it is difficult to patch the holes. Whereas strips can be easily patched after insulation.
- Blow from bottom to up. For this purpose, you need a friend to assist you.
- Tear out the drywall, for this purpose use batt insulation or vapor barrier.
How to Insulate a Garage Ceiling?
The garage owners desire to feel warm on the cold days when they are working on the cars. In this situation, they need insulation on the garage ceiling. The garage ceiling can be insulated in the following manner:
- First, gather all the things that you need for starting to work on garage ceiling like a ladder that can reach the ceiling, nails, drywall lift, nail gun, drywall, staple gun, measuring tape, fiberglass butts, and any other that is required. You can purchase from the market and if you already have any of them, then you can use them.
- Make sure that you have the amount of insulation you need. You can do it by measuring it with a tap by reaching to ceiling with a ladder.
- Purchase the insulation that you need for your space.
- Now move to install the insulation. Fiberglass is considered the most efficient way of insulation.
- Cover the fiberglass with drywall. This is because fiberglass can catch fire more frequently. So, the drywall is a protection tool here.
- Start from one side and keep moving the ladder to do the next till the end.
Thus, it can be said at the end that you can do the garage door installation process by yourself. All you need is to follow the guidelines mentioned about how to install garage door insulation yourself in the article. But you need to do it in a way that you don’t hurt yourself. At any stage, if you found that you cannot do it, call a professional.