People make basements to spend an excessive season with comfort. But they are prone to moisture and smells because underground spaces are not able to hold moisture in them.
One might do the spraying and mopping to get rid of this musty smell but all in vain. The problem should not be ignored as it can lead to further issues.
In this article, you will learn how to get rid of musty smell in basement. Read the article thoroughly and follow the guidelines mentioned in it.
Why Does my Basement Smell?
To address the problem, first, find out its cause.
There can be the following reasons for the musty smell in the basement.
- The most common cause is the moisture and humidity. Moisture is the best place for mold and mildew growth. So this might be mold that is causing smells in the basement.
- The walls and floor are cracked.
- The floor drains are not working accurately.
- Home appliances and other fixing are not working well.
- Water leakage
How to Get Rid of Musty Smell in Basement?
The following methods can be used to get rid of the smell.
- First of all, check the mold growth in the objects like chipboards, books, and boxes. All such things should be disposed that have mildew growth. If the mold is in the clothes and shoes then wash them and let them sit in the sun rays. If it is on the floor then clean it using vinegar.
- Make a solution of vinegar and spray it on the floor where the mold is found. Take the furniture out of the basement and clean them with vinegar. Let it in the direct sunlight. Sprinkle baking soda on the floor. It will help to remove bad odors. Cleaning agents can also be used for this purpose.
- If the mold is tough then it is suggested to sand it with sandpaper.
- The air might be moisturized that is causing a musty smell. So for this reason you can get a dehumidifier, it will absorb musty smells from the air.
- Add a fan in the window to increase ventilation. It will keep the moisture away from the basement.
- Place activated charcoal in the basement, it will absorb all the smells from the air in a week.
How to Get Rid of Musty Smell in Basement with Carpet?
The carpet might be moist that is why there is a musty smell in the room. One can get rid of it by following the given steps.
- First of all, examine the area for water damage because in most of the case water leakage is the cause and then fix the leakage.
- Now remove dust and debris from the carpet by vacuuming it.
- Take a spray bottle and add two cups of warm water and one cup of white vinegar to it. Spray it on the carpet.
- Pour the abundant amount of baking soda because it is a natural deodorizer. A carpet shampoo or hydrogen peroxide can also be used as a substitute.
- Repeat the process until the smells are completely removed.
What is the Best Thing to Absorb Odors?
Baking soda is the best tool to tackle musty smells in the room, basement, or kitchen.
It is a natural deodorizer. It works more efficiently than the air fresheners and not only removes the smells but also gives a fresh smell in the area.
Natural Ways to Get Rid of Musty Basement Smell
Whenever any problem arises, the first thing is to handle it with natural cleaning agents. When it is the matter of removing musty smells than baking soda, vinegar and coffee are the best agents.
These things can be used as natural remedies as follows.
- Clean all the items and furniture in the basement from mold and moisture and then sprinkle baking soda in the corners. It will start showing its results in few days and a fresh smell would spread in the basement.
- Vinegar is also a great cleaning agent. Make a solution of warm water and white vinegar and spray in the basement.
- Place coffee bowls around the basement. They will help to remove musty smells.
Basement Smells Musty After Rain
The poor draining system leads to leakage after rain that encourages mold growth. The mold will surely cause musty smells.
So, whenever it starts smelling musty after rain, do check your basement for mold growth and remove it by using the said method.
My Basement is Dry but still Smells Musty
If the basement has been checked thoroughly for moisture and no water leaks are found, then there might be some other reasons for the musty odor.
The smell might be coming from the dry floor drains and the broken seals of the top floor. So, it is advised to conduct a thorough examination and then recover from the problem.
How to Make a Basement Smell Fresh?
It is necessary to take action to make the basement smell fresh. Otherwise, it will be very difficult to breathe comfortably and spend time in it.
It can be done in the following manner.
- Clean the basement from all the unnecessary things that might be a reason for causing smells.
- Place a dehumidifier in the area.
- Regularly clean the basement.
- Place baking soda or coffee bowls around the basement and replace them after a week.
- Add a fan in the basement window for ventilation.
How to Deodorize a Basement?
The best, most common, and inexpensive way to keep your basement deodorized is to place baking soda packets or bowls in the basement.
It will absorb all bad odors and make you feel fresh. Change the baking soda in bowls after a week.
The basements are found in houses to spend some alone time or stuff things into them. Over time, the basements start to smell musty, which leads to breathing issues.
It is important to clean it from time to time so it looks fresh. Vinegar and baking soda are two important cleaning agents for this purpose.
Now you have well known how to get rid of musty smell in basement and overcome it easily.