A clogged dryer vent is the biggest threat for homeowners as it can easily catch fire. It can damage the things in your house or can also lead to loss of money and effort.
When a dryer gets a block with debris or dust, then it stops working accurately. It is necessary to maintain the dryer vent regularly to prevent such blockage.
Still, if it is not cleaned regularly, the issue can worsen, and you might need to hire a professional to resolve this issue. And this time, you will need to spend more money to clean the clogged dryer vent.
In this article, you will read the symptoms and cleaning methods for clogged dryer vents. If you face such issues and search for easy cleaning hacks, keep reading this article to get the exact information. Let’s get started.
It is the perfect time to take some action if your dryer is clogged. But if you are not sure that there is a clog in your dryer vent, you need to check the following symptoms.
- The wet clothes take more time to get dry
- The clothes getting out of the dryer are hot
- The dryer gets hot after each use
- a burning smell comes out of the dryer
- the debris gathered around the vent
- the ling is constructed inside the dryer vent
- the dryer is not serviced on time means it needs a professional for regular maintenance
By these symptoms, you can quickly check that your dyer has a blockage in its vent. So it would help if you cleaned it as soon as possible.
It is necessary to check the dryer vent whenever you notice anything wrong with it. You can do it as follows.
- Put your hand on the external vent before turning the dryer off. It is for checking the airflow of a vent. The strong air flow means there is all good, but there is something wrong with it if you notice week airflow.
- For week airflow, there is a blockage in the lint filter.
- But if the lint filter is clean, then you need to check the venting hose.
- Detach the venting hose and make a complete examination.
- Check for the debris buildup in the hose and tears of the unit.
In this section, you have read the checking process, but you will get to know how to unclog the dryer vent in the next section. Let’s start exploring without wasting any time.
It is necessary to get rid of the dryer vent clog quickly after detecting it. You need to follow the below steps for this purpose.
- First of all, you need to locate the dryer vent duct that is primarily located in the back of every dryer.
- Now when you have found the duct, its’ time to disconnect your dryer. Unplug the machine and remove the tape that has fixed the dryer vent with the exhaust.
- If you are using your dryer on natural gas, you have to be more careful to cause a fire.
- When you have removed the duct, then you can easily remove the duct cover. Buy a duct cleaner kit with an additional brush that can easily reach inside the duct. In this way, remove all the debris from it.
- Reconnect all the parts back that you have removed in the first two steps. And at the end, run your dryer for a trial to check that the clog has been fixed.
To clean a clogged dryer vent from outside, you should focus on the said guidelines listed below.
- Turn off the electricity and pull the dryer away from the wall.
- Remove the lint duct from inside with your hands
- Vacuum the inside of the duct properly. You can use hose extensions to remove as much debris as you can.
Now you must have an idea to clean the clogged dryer vent from outside. If interested, then read the following steps.
- When you have cleaned from inside, then you should go outside your house.
- Remove outer vent cover.
- Take a vacuum and vacuum the dryer vent from outside.
- Turn the power on to check the accuracy of the cleaning process.
To clean a dryer vent with a leaf blower, you need to turn off the dryer and remove the vent tube to clean it for lint. Then it would help if you ran the leaf blower to pull out the debris from the vent and tube. In this way, all the debris will come out of the dryer vent. Using a leaf blower to clean the dryer vent is probably the best way of cleaning.
You can clean a clogged dryer vent without going on the roof. You need to follow the below steps.
- Pull out the dryer away from the wall and turn the supply off.
- Detach the vent tube and vacuum the vent as well as the tube inside the dryer.
- Take a leaf blower and insert it in the hole in the wall.
- You should cover the whole with a towel to create a hurdle in the way of the lint to stop going back in the vent.
- Now turn on the blower and keep it running for one minute.
- Keep on a family member with you who will tell you that the debris is coming out of the vent.
- Now attach the hose back and turn the power on for a trail.
It is necessary to keep your dryer vent clean to get the clothes dry quickly without facing any issues. It would help if you cleaned your dryer vent once or twice a year to keep it working well.
A clogged dryer vent causes heat not even for the dryer, but you will also get the clothes hot when you take them out of the dryer.
It is necessary to take care of your dryer to keep it away from heating up as it can cause a fire in your house.